Women archers want national camp shifted out of Pune
Kolkata: With the confidence of women archers "shattered" by the recent incident of alleged sexual misconduct and a suicide in the Army Sports Institute in Pune, the Archery Association of India could shift the venue of the national camp for next month`s World Cup stage III.
The AAI will take a decision in a meeting on Monday with the Sports Authority of India Centres in Bangalore and Patiala being the likely venues for recurve and compound camps respectively.
Some women archers, led by Dola Banerjee, have requested SAI to shift the camp, AAI Assistant Secretary Gunjan Abrol said today.
"A couple of incidents at the Army Sports Institute Pune have shattered the confidence of the women`s archers," Abrol told PTI referring to Pratima Boro`s suicide last month and the most recent incident when two archers were caught in a compromising position.
Incidentally, ASI Pune has no separate hostel for women and that was the reason why both men and women archers were staying in the same lodge, though on separate floors.
This maybe one of the reasons why the women archers want the camp to be shifted out of Pune.
"Dola and few other women archers have expressed their concern in a letter to the SAI Director General. Their concern is our priority so we will take a decision Monday," Abrol said
Abrol further said they were looking for a right place as Pune was perfect for the national camp.
"It`s difficult to find a place as there have been some problems," he conceded.
SAI Eastern Centre Kolkata had been the archers` address till last season but renovation of hostel facilities and resignation of Secretary General Paresh Nath Mukherjee in the aftermath of London Olympics debacle meant that the camp was shifted to Pune this season.
"SAI, Kolkata hostels are under renovation so we cannot hold the camp there. Otherwise, it would have been an obvious choice," Abrol added.
Yamuna Sports Complex in the capital has good facilities but it`s not a SAI centre and moreover, there`s no catering facility there.
The AAI also has options of SAI centres in Bangalore, Aurangabad and Patiala. The compound camp might be taken to Patiala while Bangalore could host the recurve camp.
"Bangalore has excellent facilities but it does not have equipment like targets and all. For the camp to happen in Bangalore we have to procure the equipment which would take some time."
The archers are currently competing in the National Ranking Tournament that will conclude in New Delhi tomorrow.
Teams for the World Cup Stage III will be picked on the basis of the National Ranking performance. The World Cup Stage III will be held in Medellin, Columbia, from July 15-21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!