Women leave behind men as most popular sports stars in 2012
London: Women have overtaken men as the most popular sports stars in 2012, as athlete Jessica Ennis and cyclist Victoria Pendleton were the first and third most searched-for sporting names on the net, a new research has revealed.
Tennis gold medal winner Andy Murray came second as the Olympics saw usually popular footballers pushed out of the limelight, the Daily Star reports.
Footballer Fabrice Muamba, who survived a cardiac arrest, came fourth, the paper added.
Normally popular superstars David Beckham, 37, Lionel Messi, 25, and Cristiano Ronaldo, 27, were relegated to outside the top five, it concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon