Women`s hockey team coach Inderjit Singh dies in accident
New Delhi: India`s senior women`s hockey team coach Inderjit Singh Gill on Wednesday passed away in a fatal road accident near Sangrur in Punjab.
Gill died at the age of 59. He was a Sports Authority of India (SAI) coach who did his NIS Diploma of Coaching in 1979. Gill started his coaching career in 1986 and was working with the junior and senior women hockey teams since 1999.
Gill was also part of the coaching staff of the senior women`s team that won the silver medal at the recently concluded third women`s Asian Champions Trophy in Japan.
He was also part of the Indian women`s team in major tournaments, including the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Asian 2002 Games in Busan, 2007 Asia Cup in Hong Kong, 2012 FIH Olympic Qualifying Tournament in New Delhi and FIH World League Round 2 in New Delhi early this year.
Hockey India today condoled the sudden demise of Gill.
"The untimely demise of Inderjit Singh Gill is a big loss to all of us in the hockey fraternity. He was associated with the Indian women`s hockey for a long time and has contributed immensely for the development of our women teams," HI president Mariamma Koshy said.
"I, on behalf of Hockey India, offer my condolences to the bereaved family."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly