Women wrestlers finish fifth in World Cup
New Delhi: Grappler Geeta Phogat stood out in an otherwise average performance by the Indian team which finished fifth in the senior women`s Senior Wrestling World Cup in Mongolia.
Geeta, who was playing in the 59-kg category for the first time, won all her bouts against her opponents from Japan, Canada, Mongolia and Belarus.
India had qualified for the first time in this eight-team event held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia from March 1-3.
The Indian team lost its opening Group B match against Japan 2-5, followed by another defeat by an identical margin to hosts Mongolia.
In their final match, India overhauled the Canadian challenge 4-3 to finish third from their Pool.
In the 5th-6th classification match, India defeated Belarus 5-2 to get the fifth position.
China won the gold medal while Mongolia and Japan settled for silver and bronze respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000