Women wrestlers finish fifth in World Cup
New Delhi: Grappler Geeta Phogat stood out in an otherwise average performance by the Indian team which finished fifth in the senior women`s Senior Wrestling World Cup in Mongolia.
Geeta, who was playing in the 59-kg category for the first time, won all her bouts against her opponents from Japan, Canada, Mongolia and Belarus.
India had qualified for the first time in this eight-team event held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia from March 1-3.
The Indian team lost its opening Group B match against Japan 2-5, followed by another defeat by an identical margin to hosts Mongolia.
In their final match, India overhauled the Canadian challenge 4-3 to finish third from their Pool.
In the 5th-6th classification match, India defeated Belarus 5-2 to get the fifth position.
China won the gold medal while Mongolia and Japan settled for silver and bronze respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’