World Badminton Championships: PV Sindhu enter third round; Kona-Vishnu crashes out
Guangzhou: Rising Indian shuttler P V Sindhu overcame a fighting Kaori Imabeppu of Japan to secure her place in the third round of the women`s singles competition at the World Badminton Championships, here on Wednesday.
Seeded 10th, Sindhu, who won the Malaysia Grand Prix in May this year, had to sweat it out for one hour and 11 minutes to prevail over unseeded Imabeppu 21-19, 19-21, 21-17.
World number 12 P V Sindhu, who made her debut at the World Championship, had beaten the world number 32 Japanese in Japan Open last year.
Sindhu, who got a bye in the first round, will have to raise her game by leaps and bounds as she takes on the winner of the match between second seed Wang Yihan of China and Indonesian Belaetrix Manuputi in the next round.
Sindhu`s higher-rated compatriot, Saina Nehwal will open her campaign against Olga Golovanova of Russia. Saina, seeded third, had got a bye in the opening round.
However, it was heartbreak for India in the men`s doubles competition as Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu crashed out in the second round, but not before giving a tough fight to the fancied Indonesian pair of Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Markis Kido.
The unseeded Indian duo fought tooth and nail for 40 minutes before going down 15-21, 21-13, 17-21 to the Indonesian pair, who are seeded 15th in the competition.
Kona and Vishnu had earlier got a walkover in the first round after Polish pair of Adam Cwalina and Przemyslaw Wacha conceded the encounter.
India`s hopes in the men`s doubles event now rest on Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar who will play the German duo of Peter Kaesbauer and Josche Zurwonne in their opening match later in the day.
In the men’s singles event, Ajay Jayaram will be up against Pablo Abian of Spain in the second round, 13th seed Parupalli Kashyap will take on Czech Republic`s Petr Koukal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre