World Boxing C`ships: Shiva enters quarters, Nanao ousted
Almaty (Kazakhstan): Rising Indian boxer Shiva Thapa (56kg) continued his rich vein of form as he rallied to outwit Argentina`s Alberto Melian in the last 16 stage to enter the quarterfinals of the World Championships here
The 19-year-old reigning Asian champion beat Melian in a split decision of 2-1.
However, former cadet world champion Thokchom Nanao Singh (49kg) bowed out of the event after losing his prequarterfinal bout 0-3 to eighth seed Anthony Chacon Rivera of Puerto Rico.
Shiva will face Azerbaijan`s Javid Chalabiyev in the quarterfinals and a victory will assure him of at least a bronze medal in the mega-event.
"It was a very tough bout and took a lot out of me but I somehow pulled through," Shiva told PTI as he caught his breath after the draining contest.
Shiva, a silver-medallist at the 2010 Youth Olympics, faced an opponent whose tactics were not too different from his own.
"I tried to play it cool in the opening round and it could have gone either way because we were quite similar in our style. It was a 50-50 thing. He clinched it and I increased my tempo in the next two rounds," Shiva said.
National coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu, while lauding Shiva, said it was one of the best bouts he witnessed.
"It was a very close bout and an excellent one at that. Both wanted to counter-punch, both of them had good footwork. But Shiva dominated the third round, which he won unanimously," said the long-serving coach.
However, it was the end of campaign for Nanao, who also endured a draining bout.
"Nanao also boxed very well but I guess the other guy managed to get ahead because of some uppercuts that he connected very clearly. I think Nanao was very good with his overall technique but then it happens," Sandhu said.
The Manipuri-lad, a former cadet world champion besides being an Asian Championships silver-medallist, lost 0-3 on points. Rivera was warned once in the third round but that could not help Nanao`s cause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!