World champion Missy Franklin fails to make 200 freestyle final
Sydney: World champion Missy Franklin failed to make the 200 metres freestyle final at the Pan Pacific swimming championships on Australia`s Gold Coast, despite setting the fourth-fastest time in Thursday`s qualifying.
The 19-year-old American, who has been struggling with back spasms in the lead-up to the four-day meet, clocked one minute, 57.63 seconds in her morning heat.
But she was ruled out of the final, to be held Thursday night, because she was the third fastest American and under the rules of the competition, only two swimmers from each country can contest the final.
Franklin`s team mate Katie Ledecky, who has set three world records in freestyle swimming in the last two months, was the top qualifier in 1:56.45.
Australia`s Melanie Schlanger was second-fastest in 1:57.16 while Shannon Freeland finished third overall in 1:57.40, knocking Franklin out of the final.
Franklin did however rebound to qualify safely for the 100m backstroke final, one of two individual events she won at the 2012 London Olympics.
She was third-fastest overall behind Australia`s Emily Seebohm, who was the only woman to dip under one minute.
Seebohm finished in 59.72 seconds, while her Australian team mate Belinda Hocking was second fastest in 1:00.46. Franklin was 0.14 seconds further back.
"There is still some discomfort but it is getting much, much better day by day," Franklin said.
Michael Phelps, competing in his first international meet since retiring after London, was scheduled to make his first appearance on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match