World Chess Championship: Viswanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen, Game 4 - Preview
Zee Media Bureau/Feroz Khan
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carlsen will face each other in the fourth game of the World Chess Championship here today.
On Tuesday, the third game of the championship between Anand and Carlsen ended in a draw. However, unlike the first two games that failed to produce any thrill, India’s Anand gave his Norwegian Carlsen some food for thought even when playing with black pieces.
The third game lasted 51 moves and there was a point during the game when Anand looked to move ahead of his young opponent but Carlsen recovered by averting the impending danger and ended up confessing that he was ‘scared’.
"I was worse, and then I probably made it more worse. I missed some simple things in the middle game, may be I had enough play and it was not a disaster but it was scary," Carlsen said.
Carlsen showed his intentions of a bloody battle when, contrary to the popular belief, repeated the Reti opening.
As is typical of the Reti opening, the changes to several set ups is possible. Carlsen went for a position akin to the English opening that was more of a Sicilian Dragon with colours reversed.
If the third game is anything to go by then one can expect mouth-watering battles ahead even though either of the two is yet to blink after being tied at 1.5 points each.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!