World Chess Championship: Viswanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen, Game 4 - Preview
Zee Media Bureau/Feroz Khan
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carlsen will face each other in the fourth game of the World Chess Championship here today.
On Tuesday, the third game of the championship between Anand and Carlsen ended in a draw. However, unlike the first two games that failed to produce any thrill, India’s Anand gave his Norwegian Carlsen some food for thought even when playing with black pieces.
The third game lasted 51 moves and there was a point during the game when Anand looked to move ahead of his young opponent but Carlsen recovered by averting the impending danger and ended up confessing that he was ‘scared’.
"I was worse, and then I probably made it more worse. I missed some simple things in the middle game, may be I had enough play and it was not a disaster but it was scary," Carlsen said.
Carlsen showed his intentions of a bloody battle when, contrary to the popular belief, repeated the Reti opening.
As is typical of the Reti opening, the changes to several set ups is possible. Carlsen went for a position akin to the English opening that was more of a Sicilian Dragon with colours reversed.
If the third game is anything to go by then one can expect mouth-watering battles ahead even though either of the two is yet to blink after being tied at 1.5 points each.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves