World Cup Kabaddi begins Sunday
Patiala: The 4th Pearls World Cup Kabaddi - 2013 began here on Sunday with India drubbing United States 59-31 and Spain emerging victorious over Kenya 40-32.
In the women`s category, the home team won their opening match by trouncing New Zealand 44-12 at the jam-packed YPS stadium.
Chief Guest of opening matches, Surjit Singh Rakhra, Minister for Rural Development and Panchayats welcomed the thousands of Kabaddi fans. He said Punjab government has increased the sports budget by setting aside Rs 142 crore in 2013-14 budget.
He said that state government was paying special heed towards setting up of world class sports infrastructure besides providing training to produce more national and international players representing different games.
He said that organizing World Kabaddi Cup annually has given a separate identity to this rural game in the world.
He said that Punjab has also increased the amount of Maharaja Ranjit Singh Sports Award to Rs. 2 lakh, earlier it was Rs. 1 lakh besides reserving 3 percent quota for sportsperson during recruitment in government sectors.
He said that Punjab has also provided A class jobs to 10 top players of different games.
Sikander Singh Maluka, President Punjab Kabaddi Association and Education Minister, informed that Punjab has increased cash award for Olympic gold medal to Rs 2.5 crore from earlier Rs 1 crore while for the winner of Asian Gold, Silver and Bronze medals the cash awards were Rs 26 lakh, 16 lakh and 11 lakh respectively.
He said that winners of gold, silver and bronze medals in Commonwealth Games will get Rs 16 lakh, Rs 11 lakh and Rs 6 lakh respectively.
Earlier Rakhra and Maluka greeted the players from USA, Kenya, Spain and New Zealand, besides the home team.
Folk singer Mohammad Irshad entertained the gathering with his popular songs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi