World`s oldest long-distance runner retires at 101
Hong Kong: 101-year-old Fauja Singh, the world`s oldest marathon runner of Indian-origin, retired from competitive events as a "very happy" man as he finished his last race here today.
Singh, nicknamed the "Turbaned Tornado," finished the Hong Kong marathon`s 10-kilometre race in 1 hour, 32 minutes and 28 seconds. But he could not meet his goal of beating his personal record of 5:40.
"I`m very happy. When I was running I felt very good, but now that I`ve stopped, I`m tired," the India-born British national, who only speaks Punjabi, said.
Singh, who turns 102 on April 1, became the oldest man to run a full marathon at Toronto in 2011. But his record was not recognised by Guinness World Records because he doesn`t have a birth certificate to prove his age, only a passport.
Singh, who was a farmer in Punjab before settling in England, has competed in nine 26-mile marathons in London, Toronto and New York.
His best time was in Toronto, where he clocked five hours, 40 minutes and four seconds.
Singh says he does not suffer from any physical ailments. A torchbearer for the London 2012 Olympics, his one regret is not being able to speak and read English.
In 1999, at the age of 89, he decided to run marathons for charities. His first charity was for premature babies, and he billed himself as the oldest person running for the youngest.
However, Singh isn`t too bothered about his age. His main aim in running the marathons is to raise money for charity.
"I will remember this day and I will miss it, but I will not stop running for charity," Singh said before the race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy