World team squash: India lose to Italy in playoffs
Paderborn (Germany): While the top two seeds England and Egypt moved into the final, India went down to Italy in the playoffs for 5-8 positions at the men`s World team squash championship on Friday.
The Indians, who lost 1-2 will now face the United States in the classification match for 7-8 positions.
The lone Indian victory was recorded by national champion Saurav Ghosal who defeated Davide Bianchetti in four games in the second singles after Siddharth Suchde had lost the opening tie.
In the deciding third singles, a battling Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu yielded to Amr Ramsy Swelim in five games.
Meanwhile, England, the four times winners of the title since 1995, comprehensively defeated fourth seeds Australia 3-0 and Egypt overcame France 2-1 with Mohamed El Shorbagy defeating Mathieu Castagnet in the third singles tie that lasted 91 minutes and five games.
5-8 play-off: (9) Italy beat (6) India 2-1: Marcus Berrett bt Siddharth Suchde 11-5, 6-11, 11-4, 11-0 (40m); Davide Bianchetti lost to Saurav Ghosal 5-11, 11-6, 7-11, 3-11 (51m); Amr Ramsy Swelim bt Harinder Pal Sandhu 11-9, 8-11, 11-4, 5-11, 11-8 (72m).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!