World team squash: India lose to Italy in playoffs
Paderborn (Germany): While the top two seeds England and Egypt moved into the final, India went down to Italy in the playoffs for 5-8 positions at the men`s World team squash championship on Friday.
The Indians, who lost 1-2 will now face the United States in the classification match for 7-8 positions.
The lone Indian victory was recorded by national champion Saurav Ghosal who defeated Davide Bianchetti in four games in the second singles after Siddharth Suchde had lost the opening tie.
In the deciding third singles, a battling Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu yielded to Amr Ramsy Swelim in five games.
Meanwhile, England, the four times winners of the title since 1995, comprehensively defeated fourth seeds Australia 3-0 and Egypt overcame France 2-1 with Mohamed El Shorbagy defeating Mathieu Castagnet in the third singles tie that lasted 91 minutes and five games.
5-8 play-off: (9) Italy beat (6) India 2-1: Marcus Berrett bt Siddharth Suchde 11-5, 6-11, 11-4, 11-0 (40m); Davide Bianchetti lost to Saurav Ghosal 5-11, 11-6, 7-11, 3-11 (51m); Amr Ramsy Swelim bt Harinder Pal Sandhu 11-9, 8-11, 11-4, 5-11, 11-8 (72m).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof