World Wrestling Championships: Women grapplers disappoint, Narsingh in repechages
Budapest: India`s Nirmala Devi (48kg) and Vinesh (51kg) failed to impress in the women`s section of the World Wrestling Championships even as men`s freestyle grappler Narsingh Yadav entered the repechages after his conquerer made it to the finals of the 74kg section here on Wednesday.
Yadav ran into the reigning champion Jordan Burroughs of USA in the second round where he was summarily matted 0-7, halting the Commonwealth Games gold medallist`s run in the competition.
Earlier, Yadav made a resounding start as he overcame Russia`s Kakhaber Khubezhty 10-2 in the opening bout.
2011 World champion Burroughs proved his might over the 24-year-old Indian by decimating him 0-7.
While Asian games bronze medallist Vinesh lost in the second round to Isabelle Sambou of Senegal, her compatriot Nirmala was overwhelmed by world no one Alyssa Lampe from USA 0-7 in the opening contest of the 48kg category.
Vinesh has an easy first bout and defeated Mexico`s Wendy Martinez 7-0 but failed to overcome Isabelle in an enticing battle.
Vinesh opened her account as she was awarded a caution point but soon her opponent gained the upper hand by completing a back hold (two points) and finished the first three-minute period with a 2-1 advantage.
The Indian started off well in the second period and collected a two-point take down to gain a lead but the Senegal girl soon wrested the advantage in her favour with another back grip on the Vinesh.
Trailing 3-4, Vinesh made spirited attempts to pull her down but the clock ran out for the Indian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state