World Wrestling Championships: Women grapplers disappoint, Narsingh in repechages
Budapest: India`s Nirmala Devi (48kg) and Vinesh (51kg) failed to impress in the women`s section of the World Wrestling Championships even as men`s freestyle grappler Narsingh Yadav entered the repechages after his conquerer made it to the finals of the 74kg section here on Wednesday.
Yadav ran into the reigning champion Jordan Burroughs of USA in the second round where he was summarily matted 0-7, halting the Commonwealth Games gold medallist`s run in the competition.
Earlier, Yadav made a resounding start as he overcame Russia`s Kakhaber Khubezhty 10-2 in the opening bout.
2011 World champion Burroughs proved his might over the 24-year-old Indian by decimating him 0-7.
While Asian games bronze medallist Vinesh lost in the second round to Isabelle Sambou of Senegal, her compatriot Nirmala was overwhelmed by world no one Alyssa Lampe from USA 0-7 in the opening contest of the 48kg category.
Vinesh has an easy first bout and defeated Mexico`s Wendy Martinez 7-0 but failed to overcome Isabelle in an enticing battle.
Vinesh opened her account as she was awarded a caution point but soon her opponent gained the upper hand by completing a back hold (two points) and finished the first three-minute period with a 2-1 advantage.
The Indian started off well in the second period and collected a two-point take down to gain a lead but the Senegal girl soon wrested the advantage in her favour with another back grip on the Vinesh.
Trailing 3-4, Vinesh made spirited attempts to pull her down but the clock ran out for the Indian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say