World Youth Athletic Championship starts
Donetsk (Ukraine): The eighth World Youth Athletic Championship started here with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium, which is on course to become the biggest gathering of athletes in the history of independent Ukraine.
Around 1,700 competitors from 165 countries will participate in the biennial tournament, organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The tournament, which started Wednesday, is open to track and field events for under-17 competitors.
Total of 148 medals will be awarded for 40 events scheduled for the five-day tournament.
The previous World Youth Athletic Championship was held in Lille, France, in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Prime Minister wishes Goans on statehood day
- IPL 2016: Hilarious! When Umar Akmal congratulated David Warner-led SRH for winning Pakistan Super League
- London diaries: Saif Ali Khan, wifey Kareena Kapoor shopping at a departmental store – View pic
- I was told to slim down for 'Pearl Harbor': Kate Beckinsale
- Xiaomi launching Redmi 3A with 4,000mAh battery?