World Youth Athletic Championship starts
Donetsk (Ukraine): The eighth World Youth Athletic Championship started here with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium, which is on course to become the biggest gathering of athletes in the history of independent Ukraine.
Around 1,700 competitors from 165 countries will participate in the biennial tournament, organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The tournament, which started Wednesday, is open to track and field events for under-17 competitors.
Total of 148 medals will be awarded for 40 events scheduled for the five-day tournament.
The previous World Youth Athletic Championship was held in Lille, France, in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak