World Youth Athletic Championship starts
Donetsk (Ukraine): The eighth World Youth Athletic Championship started here with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium, which is on course to become the biggest gathering of athletes in the history of independent Ukraine.
Around 1,700 competitors from 165 countries will participate in the biennial tournament, organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The tournament, which started Wednesday, is open to track and field events for under-17 competitors.
Total of 148 medals will be awarded for 40 events scheduled for the five-day tournament.
The previous World Youth Athletic Championship was held in Lille, France, in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city