Wrestler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav bags India`s maiden medal in Greco-Roman
Budapest: Indian wrestler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav scripted history by winning the first ever medal in the Greco Roman category as he beat Serbian Makismovic Aleksandar to bag the bronze medal on the last day of the World Championships here Sunday.
Indian wrestlers are more known for their prowess in freestyle. But Yadav made sure that India earns its first medal from Greco Roman as he beat the Serbian 4-0 in the bronze medal match.
In the elimination round, Sandeep got a bye. In the second round, he defeated Spanish wrestler Navarro Sanchez Isamel 5-0 and in the third he beat Moldovan ACosniceanu Mihali 6-2.
Yadav, however, fell out of the race as he was thrashed 0-10 in the next round by Korean wrestler Ryu Han Su.
But it was the Korean, who again revived Yadav`s medal hopes, as he entered in to the final. Yadav was back in the race for bronze Medal as he qualified for the repechage.
In the repechage round, Yadav first defeated Swedish wrestler Vardanyan Shrur 6-4 and qualified for the bronze medal match, where he got the better of Serbian Aleksandar 4-0.
Yadav made sure that it was India`s best show at the worlds with a tally of three medals, one silver and two bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets