Wrestler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav bags India`s maiden medal in Greco-Roman
Budapest: Indian wrestler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav scripted history by winning the first ever medal in the Greco Roman category as he beat Serbian Makismovic Aleksandar to bag the bronze medal on the last day of the World Championships here Sunday.
Indian wrestlers are more known for their prowess in freestyle. But Yadav made sure that India earns its first medal from Greco Roman as he beat the Serbian 4-0 in the bronze medal match.
In the elimination round, Sandeep got a bye. In the second round, he defeated Spanish wrestler Navarro Sanchez Isamel 5-0 and in the third he beat Moldovan ACosniceanu Mihali 6-2.
Yadav, however, fell out of the race as he was thrashed 0-10 in the next round by Korean wrestler Ryu Han Su.
But it was the Korean, who again revived Yadav`s medal hopes, as he entered in to the final. Yadav was back in the race for bronze Medal as he qualified for the repechage.
In the repechage round, Yadav first defeated Swedish wrestler Vardanyan Shrur 6-4 and qualified for the bronze medal match, where he got the better of Serbian Aleksandar 4-0.
Yadav made sure that it was India`s best show at the worlds with a tally of three medals, one silver and two bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves