Wrestling remains in contention for spot in 2020 Oly Games
St Petersburg: Wrestling remained in contention for a place in the 2020 Olympics as the sport was on Wednesday shortlisted along with two other disciplines by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final vote in September.
Wrestling will fight for the lone spot with squash and the joint bid of softball/baseball.
The Board shortlisted three sport out of eight, that pleaded their case on Wednesday in closed-door presentations, according to reports.
Wrestling was dropped from the Olympic programme in February this year and with this shortlisting the sport has taken a step forward in keeping its place.
Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wake-boarding and wushu, Chinese martial art, missed out.
The full IOC assembly will meet on September 8 in Buenos Aires, Argentina to take a decision on which sport out of the three short-listed will be selected for inclusion in 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?