Wrestling remains in contention for spot in 2020 Oly Games
St Petersburg: Wrestling remained in contention for a place in the 2020 Olympics as the sport was on Wednesday shortlisted along with two other disciplines by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final vote in September.
Wrestling will fight for the lone spot with squash and the joint bid of softball/baseball.
The Board shortlisted three sport out of eight, that pleaded their case on Wednesday in closed-door presentations, according to reports.
Wrestling was dropped from the Olympic programme in February this year and with this shortlisting the sport has taken a step forward in keeping its place.
Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wake-boarding and wushu, Chinese martial art, missed out.
The full IOC assembly will meet on September 8 in Buenos Aires, Argentina to take a decision on which sport out of the three short-listed will be selected for inclusion in 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know