Wrestling remains in contention for spot in 2020 Oly Games
St Petersburg: Wrestling remained in contention for a place in the 2020 Olympics as the sport was on Wednesday shortlisted along with two other disciplines by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final vote in September.
Wrestling will fight for the lone spot with squash and the joint bid of softball/baseball.
The Board shortlisted three sport out of eight, that pleaded their case on Wednesday in closed-door presentations, according to reports.
Wrestling was dropped from the Olympic programme in February this year and with this shortlisting the sport has taken a step forward in keeping its place.
Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wake-boarding and wushu, Chinese martial art, missed out.
The full IOC assembly will meet on September 8 in Buenos Aires, Argentina to take a decision on which sport out of the three short-listed will be selected for inclusion in 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing