Wrestling remains in contention for spot in 2020 Oly Games
St Petersburg: Wrestling remained in contention for a place in the 2020 Olympics as the sport was on Wednesday shortlisted along with two other disciplines by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final vote in September.
Wrestling will fight for the lone spot with squash and the joint bid of softball/baseball.
The Board shortlisted three sport out of eight, that pleaded their case on Wednesday in closed-door presentations, according to reports.
Wrestling was dropped from the Olympic programme in February this year and with this shortlisting the sport has taken a step forward in keeping its place.
Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wake-boarding and wushu, Chinese martial art, missed out.
The full IOC assembly will meet on September 8 in Buenos Aires, Argentina to take a decision on which sport out of the three short-listed will be selected for inclusion in 2020 Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees