Wrestling`s Olympic return is music to Putin`s ears
Sochi: Wrestling`s quickfire return to the Olympic programme was music to the ears of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who personally lobbied for its return last year.
Putin was honoured on Wednesday by the International Wrestling Federation (FILA) for his role in helping get the sport back onto the 2022 Games programme after it was surprisingly taken off by the IOC early last year.
"It is hard to imagine the Olympic programme without wrestling and athletics," Putin said after a meeting with FILA boss Nenad Lalovic. "These sports are very significant for the Olympic movement as well as Mozart and Tchaikovsky for music".
An iconic Olympic sport, wrestling featured in the ancient Olympics as well as every modern Games apart from 1900 but surprisingly lost its spot last February as the IOC looked to freshen up its programme.
But the sport completed an unprecedented comeback by reclaiming its spot for 2020, beating bids from rivals squash and baseball/softball in an IOC vote.
As the latest Games entrant, wrestling is the only sport to be guaranteed a spot until the 2024 Olympics, with the 27 others up for review in 2017.
Burly Serb Lalovic replaced Raphael Martinetti as FILA president after the sport`s initial exit and helped usher in sweeping changes in rules, administration and gender equality, making the sport more attractive to spectators and broadcasters.
"Wrestling is an amazing show, but it is necessary to promote it properly on television and use modern PR tools and techniques," said Putin. "Wrestling`s position should be strengthened."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing