Wrestling will come out stronger after IOC vote: Sushil Kumar
New Delhi: Two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar on Friday exuded confidence over reinclusion of wrestling in the Olympic movement and said the sport would come out stronger after the IOC`s Executive Board backs it in their meeting in Buenos Aires on September 8.
"The International wrestling body (FILA) has made all the necessary changes that the IOC wanted. I see no reason why wrestling would not make a comeback. I think wrestling would come out even more stronger after it gets the backing of the IOC members. The ancient sport has done a lot to garner support of fans for its bid to be in the 2020 Olympics," Sushil told reporters here.
The Executive Board in its 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina will vote on the candidature of an additional sport for the 2020 Olympics programme out of three disciplines -- wrestling, squash and a combined bid of baseball and softball.
At a program organised here to rally support ahead of the crucial meeting, former Arjuna awardee Jagroop Pehelwan and his daughter Neha Rathi, who was recently conferred with the same honour, were also present to voice their support.
"I think there are many factors that will work in our favour. The increased participation of women in the governing body of FILA, increasing weight categories for women at Olympics besides making rules spectator friendly are some of the major changes that will sail us through this tough time," said Neha.
"Wrestling is a national sport in many countries and it has a wide fan following. India has been doing well in the sport. It will be a massive setback for the upcoming wrestlers. I hope everything goes in our favour," Jagroop said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview