Wrestling will come out stronger after IOC vote: Sushil Kumar
New Delhi: Two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar on Friday exuded confidence over reinclusion of wrestling in the Olympic movement and said the sport would come out stronger after the IOC`s Executive Board backs it in their meeting in Buenos Aires on September 8.
"The International wrestling body (FILA) has made all the necessary changes that the IOC wanted. I see no reason why wrestling would not make a comeback. I think wrestling would come out even more stronger after it gets the backing of the IOC members. The ancient sport has done a lot to garner support of fans for its bid to be in the 2020 Olympics," Sushil told reporters here.
The Executive Board in its 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina will vote on the candidature of an additional sport for the 2020 Olympics programme out of three disciplines -- wrestling, squash and a combined bid of baseball and softball.
At a program organised here to rally support ahead of the crucial meeting, former Arjuna awardee Jagroop Pehelwan and his daughter Neha Rathi, who was recently conferred with the same honour, were also present to voice their support.
"I think there are many factors that will work in our favour. The increased participation of women in the governing body of FILA, increasing weight categories for women at Olympics besides making rules spectator friendly are some of the major changes that will sail us through this tough time," said Neha.
"Wrestling is a national sport in many countries and it has a wide fan following. India has been doing well in the sport. It will be a massive setback for the upcoming wrestlers. I hope everything goes in our favour," Jagroop said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?