Yogesh, Pankaj enter semis of carrom tourney
Mumbai: Yogesh Pardesi of Indian Oil prevailed over Zahir Ahamed of LIC in straight games to enter the semifinals of the men`s singles in the All India Public Sector Carrom tournament, organised by Air India and Maharashtra Carrom Association Friday.
Yogesh won 25-0 25-14.
In other quarterfinal matches, Pankaj Pawar of Air India shocked former national champion M Natraj of Air India 6-25 25-6 25-9, while Mohd Gufran of Air India prevailed over teammate L Rakesh Singh 15-25 25-8 25-23 and R M Shankara snuffed out the challenge of Nishigandh Zimre of Air India 25-0 25-14.
Zimre had ousted national champion K Shrinvas 25-20 6-25 25-3 in the pre-quarters.
In women`s singles quarterfinals, Kavita Somachi of Reserve Bank upset former national champion Parimala Devi of Indian Oil 25-18 25-20.
World and national champion Rashmi Kumari of ONGC comfortably defeated Khushbu Kumari of Indian Oil 25-7 25-2.
In other quarterfinals, Kajal Kumari of Indian Oil upset former world champion S Apoorva 25-20 21-25 25-17, while LIC`s Deepika Sinha prevailed over Indian Oil`s Sneha More 25-20 17-25 25-12.
In the men`s team championship, Indian Oil defeated Reserve Bank of India 3-0 to enter the finals and would meet Air India A, who got past their B team 2-1 in the semis, in the summit contest.
In the women`s team championship, Indian Oil prevailed over Reserve Bank of India 3-0 and LIC of India trounced BSNL 3-0 to enter the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country