Yogeshwar disappointed to miss World C`ships due to injury
New Delhi: Olympic bronze-medallist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt has been forced out of next month`s World Championships due to a nagging knee injury for which he would have to undergo an operation in South Africa.
"The injury to my right-knee has aggravated once again. The MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear requires a surgery. I will be flying off to South Africa to get it operated later this month," the 30-year-old Yogeshwar said.
The World Championships will be held in Budapest, Hungary from September 16. Yogeshwar had got the same knee operated in 2009.
"All was going well. I was hoping for a return in that tournament. Around 15 days back that the injury flared up again and I had to consult my doctors. They suggested me to go for a surgery again."
"But now it seems my wait will be little more longer," he said.
The injury could keep the Haryana grappler out of action for nearly six months.
"It is disappointing to miss out on World Championships. It`s the second biggest event after the Olympics. I have informed the federation about my injury and they were supportive," the Padma Shri awardee said.
"I am continuing with my strengthening exercises. I am avoiding any stress on the leg muscles as it could worsen the injury," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad