Yogeshwar disappointed to miss World C`ships due to injury
New Delhi: Olympic bronze-medallist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt has been forced out of next month`s World Championships due to a nagging knee injury for which he would have to undergo an operation in South Africa.
"The injury to my right-knee has aggravated once again. The MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear requires a surgery. I will be flying off to South Africa to get it operated later this month," the 30-year-old Yogeshwar said.
The World Championships will be held in Budapest, Hungary from September 16. Yogeshwar had got the same knee operated in 2009.
"All was going well. I was hoping for a return in that tournament. Around 15 days back that the injury flared up again and I had to consult my doctors. They suggested me to go for a surgery again."
"But now it seems my wait will be little more longer," he said.
The injury could keep the Haryana grappler out of action for nearly six months.
"It is disappointing to miss out on World Championships. It`s the second biggest event after the Olympics. I have informed the federation about my injury and they were supportive," the Padma Shri awardee said.
"I am continuing with my strengthening exercises. I am avoiding any stress on the leg muscles as it could worsen the injury," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand