Yogeshwar disappointed to miss World C`ships due to injury
New Delhi: Olympic bronze-medallist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt has been forced out of next month`s World Championships due to a nagging knee injury for which he would have to undergo an operation in South Africa.
"The injury to my right-knee has aggravated once again. The MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear requires a surgery. I will be flying off to South Africa to get it operated later this month," the 30-year-old Yogeshwar said.
The World Championships will be held in Budapest, Hungary from September 16. Yogeshwar had got the same knee operated in 2009.
"All was going well. I was hoping for a return in that tournament. Around 15 days back that the injury flared up again and I had to consult my doctors. They suggested me to go for a surgery again."
"But now it seems my wait will be little more longer," he said.
The injury could keep the Haryana grappler out of action for nearly six months.
"It is disappointing to miss out on World Championships. It`s the second biggest event after the Olympics. I have informed the federation about my injury and they were supportive," the Padma Shri awardee said.
"I am continuing with my strengthening exercises. I am avoiding any stress on the leg muscles as it could worsen the injury," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sugar prices up in Delhi by Rs 2 in June-July at Rs 40-41 per kg
- MEA rules out India-Pakistan bilateral talks during SAARC meet in Islamabad
- Here comes a solar cell that functions like a plant
- BJP MP Anurag Thakur is Lt Anurag Thakur now, joins Territorial Army – Watch his pics here
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army