Yogeshwar not to undergo surgery on his right knee
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist Yogeshwar Dutt has been advised not to go in for surgery by his doctors on the knee, which has been diagnosed twice, as it could pose serious threat to his wrestling career.
Yogeshwar suffered a medical collateral ligament (MCL) tear in his right knee in July and was contemplating undergoing an operation in South Africa.
"I had consulted Dr Dinshaw Pardiwala at Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai. He advised me not to go in for surgery as it could keep me out of wrestling mat for at least six to seven months. Moreover, he said it would be risky to go in for a third surgery on the same area," said Yogeshwar.
Yogeshwar had undergone the first surgery on his knee in 2009.
"The doctor has advised me to focus on my strength training. Currently I am concentrating on gyming. He said the injury will heal overtime. He advised that going under knife would not be a good option at this time as it could seriously affect my career. The doctor has said my knee is getting better," said the 30-year-old grappler.
"I am practicing techniques on the mat. It`s just that I am fighting bouts. I have no problems in the knee while playing basketball or volleyball," he added.
Though he is not fit to compete in the upcoming World Wrestling Championships in Budapest, Hungary, Yogeshwar has requested the Wrestling Federation of India to allow him to practice with the team at the training camp.
"I have asked the WFI to allow me to participate at the Budapest camp. I would want to see the new rules introduced to the game. Also my experience could help junior wrestlers in the bouts when the competition begins," said the 60-kg freestyle wrestler.
The WFI has forwarded his application to the ministry and is waiting for the reply.
The Indian contingent will be leaving tonight for the World Championships that will be played from September 16-22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared