Youth men`s boxing nationals from Wednesday
New Delhi: Young talents from across the country will fight it out for top honours when the 44th Youth Men`s National Boxing Championship kicks off on Wednesday at Kakinada in Andhra Pradesh.
The District Sports Authority stadium at Kakinada will play host to the six-day event in which a plethora of young pugilists will be vying for national glory.
The event, being organised by the Andhra Pradesh Boxing Association under the aegis of the Indian Boxing Federation, will see competition in 10 weight categories from light-fly to super heavy-weight.
Apart from providing a platform to current champions and emerging boxers to display their skills, the tournament will also serve as a selection ground to shortlist the core group of players for the Youth Commonwealth Games, which are scheduled to be held at the Isle of Man in September.
"The event provides an excellent opportunity for the boxers to represent their state and board teams and it helps us to build on our bank of boxers; with the YCWG not too far away the national championships will help us identify the core group of boxers for the national camp," said coach G Manoharan.
The last edition, held in Visakhapatnam, saw Services Sports Control Board win top honours with six gold, one silver and one bronze medal. Haryana finished a close second with three gold, two silver and a bronze, while Punjab a distant third with one silver and three bronze.
The meet will see a total of almost 200 boxers representing 25 state/board teams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what