Zareen settles for silver in Youth World Boxing Championships
New Delhi: Reigning junior world champion Nikhat Zareen (54kg) settled for a silver medal after her winning run was finally halted at the AIBA Women`s Youth World Boxing Championships in Albena, Bulgaria on Sunday.
Up against Yunzi Yuan of China, the 17-year-old boxer from Andhra fought bravely, but her opponent was equal to the task. Zareen tried hard to penetrate Yuan`s guard, but the Chinese blocked well and kept scoring points on the counter.
The Indian adopted a more aggressive approach in the final round, but her opponent was up to the task and kept the advantage with some precise attacks.
Zareen, who won the flyweight division gold medal at the inaugural edition of the AIBA Women`s junior World Championship, has moved into the youth category and fights in the bantamweight division.
She registered a comprehensive victory over Desire Galli from Italy in the quarters to advance to the round of four. In the semi-finals, the Andhra boxer was up against another junior world champion Viktoriya Virt of Ukraine.
At the age of 15, Zareen won the gold medal in flyweight division at the inaugural edition of the AIBA Women`s Junior & Youth World Boxing Championship in 2011.
"I tried hard to land more scoring blows, but my opponent`s defence was hard to break. I suppose she had sound strategy and boxed well technically. I am happy with my performance, but would have loved to get my hand on the gold medal," Zareen said after the final.
Earlier, lightweight boxer Simranjit Kaur (60kg) lost out in a close contest against Aidana Arapbayeva from Kazakhstan.
In the junior WC, upcoming boxer from Madhya Pradesh, Asha Roka (48kg) showed potential before losing to Assyl Askarova of Kazakhstan. Both boxers had to be content with bronze medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Rahul Gandhi must come clean on how Mahatma Gandhi's assassin was affiliated to RSS: Vaidya
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes