Perth Test, Day 3: As it happened ...
Vineet Ramakrishnan/Zeenews Sports
Perth: Australia wrapped up the Pert Test in the first session itself and only formalities remained in the second which was done and dusted in a hurry by Ben Hilfenhaus.
10.56 a.m. Over 63 The ordeal ends in just 2 and a half days
- Virat Kohli (75) edged one to keeper Brad Haddin off Peter Siddle and that completed yet another demolition job by the Australian bowlers as India slumped again to their 7th straight lose in Tests overseas. Ind 171 all out
10.48 a.m. Over 62 Hilfenhaus wraps up the tail
- Immediately after lunch, Ben Hilfenhaus got rid of Vinay Kumar, Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma in a span of 4 balls. Ind 171/9Morning Session
India lost Rahul Dravid (47) and MS Dhoni (2) in the morning session as Australia looked all set to wrap up the match before the last session of Day 3. India scored 77 runs in the session. The Australians are chipping away at the wickets and with Virat Kohli being the only recognized batsmen left, Aus bowlers would come out all guns blazing to wrap up the tail before India can score more than 43 runs.
India are trailing Australia by 43 runs and with four wickets remaining, it would be tough for India to even post a target of over 100 for the Aus in the second innings. Ben Hilfenhaus was looking out of sort but Mitchell Starc was oozing with confidence bowling with venom. Harris also persisted with consistent line and length getting the prized wicket of Dravid. Prior to Dravid’s fall, Starc and Harris had bowled quite a few maidens to put the pressure on the batsmen.
Peter Siddle also joined in with the wicket of MS Dhoni inducing him to drive only to edge the ball at second slip were Ponting took a sharp low catch.
10.00 a.m. Lunch Break
India lost two wickets in the morning session scoring 77 runs in the process and trialing Aus by 43 runs. Ind 165/6
9.42 a.m. Over 55 Dhoni comes in, and goes out
- Clincial Peter Siddle setup the Indian captain MS Dhoni with a short of length ball and then drew him forward to induce an edge. Dhoni scored just two runs are Aus are into Indian tail. Ind 148/6
9.20 a.m. Over 50 ’The Wall breached again’
- He came in with a positive frame of mind playing his shots rather aggressively, but on 47 his stumps were again shattered by an in-swinger from Ryan Harris. He played across the line and in a bid to whip the good length ball to mid-wicket failed to connect, and the ball hit his pads and went straight through the stumps. Shockingly, this is the 8th time in 10 innings that Rahul Dravid has got out bowled. Ind 135/5
9.01 a.m. Over 47 Kohli scores 50
- His place in the squad was under fire, but Virat Kohli produced a gritty fifty in 92 balls early on Day 3 to keep his critics at bay.
8.56 a.m. Over 45 Starc’s fine over
- Mitchell Starc has so far filled in the boots of James Pattinson rather well and he had Dravid hopping all around in the 45th over with an immacualte line and length assited by the bounce and the swing.
8.20 a.m. Over 36 First boundary of the day
- Dravid capitalised on a rare short and wide delivery from Ben Hilfenhaus to pick up the first boundary of the day for India through the point region.
8.00 a.m. Over 32 Hilfenhaus starts of the proceedings
- It was Ben Hilfenhaus started off the proceeding of what could be the final day of the Perth Test. Kohli played out a maiden but looked solid in his defense and confident while leaving the ball.