Kolkata: The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) heaved a huge sigh of relief on Sunday as the Eden Gardens got time till February 7th to prove its readiness for the upcoming cricket World Cup.
The historic stadium in Kolkata had lost the February 27 World Cup match between India and England after it failed to meet the completion deadline for renovation work. Three more matches are scheduled at the venue.
The BCCI, at the behest of the Cricket Association of Bengal, had appealed to the ICC to extend the completion deadline to February 7, which had earlier been rejected by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Talking to reporters on Saturday, ICC President Sharad Pawar had said that he would get a report on the stadium`s preparedness from ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat, after which a decision would be taken.
"I will get the report this evening. After that, an ICC Committee will deliberate on whether Eden will host the matches or not," Pawar had said.
"Fans from other countries would be also be coming to see the World Cup and they would have made their travel plans much in advance. Any last-minute change would hassle them," he added.
The India-England clash was to be the only match featuring the co-hosts at the venue and the other scheduled clashes mostly feature minnows.
South Africa-Ireland (March 15), Netherlands-Ireland (March 18) and Zimbabwe-Kenya (March 20) are the other games scheduled at the venue.