The suspense over Narsingh Pancham Yadav's participation in the 2016 Rio Olympics continues as the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) panel on Saturday failed to a decision on the doping controversy.
New Delhi: The suspense over Narsingh Pancham Yadav's participation in the 2016 Rio Olympics continues as the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) panel failed to take a decision on the doping controversy Saturday.
A verdict was expected today, but Director General NADA Naveen Aggarwal told reporters after a marathon meeting that “no decision could be taken today. Panel waiting for all docs and records.”
"The reason for marathon meeting and the delay in declaring the verdict as a lot of documents needed to be studied and the arguments have been lengthy. We are hopeful that justice will be done," Agarwal added.
However, the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh refused to comment anything as the case is still sub-judice.
It was earlier reported that the verdict could be declared either on Saturday or Monday, with NADA lawyer Gaurang Kanth saying that Narsingh had not been able to provide substantial evidence to justify his claims of conspiracy behind his failed dope test.
The wrestler, who has alleged the involvement of fellow grapplers in the conspiracy, has already been replaced by Parveen Rana in the Olympic-bound squad but was expected to be reinstated if he gets a clean chit from NADA.
However, the chances of Narsingh representing India at the Rio Games took a telling blow during the hearing itself. The NADA counsel said that "the argument by NADA was that he is not eligible for remission which he has been asking. Narsingh did not produce the relevant circumstantial evidence that there could have been sabotage as had been claimed by them."
If wrestler is found guilty of doping, the Mumbai-based wrestler could well serve a 4-year ban, as is the prevalent norm under the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules.
He tested positive for banned substance metadienone during a test conducted by NADA on June 25. He ran into further trouble on Wednesday after it was announced that a second test conducted on July 5 has also returned a positive result.
The 26-year-old had earn India a quota place in men's 74kg freestyle category for 2016 Rio Olympics, but was provisionally suspended by the WFI following the doping controversy.
It's pertinent to mention that, the 2014 Commonwealth Games gold medallist won a lengthy legal battle against two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar over the right to represent in the the 2016 Olympics.
(With Agency inputs)