Root doubtful for World T20 with thumb injury
England batsman Joe Root is a major doubt for the World Twenty20 tournament this month after fracturing his thumb during England`s one-day series clincher in the West Indies.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said Root was returning home from the Caribbean.
"Joe Root has a fractured thumb and is returning home to see a specialist," the ECB said on Twitter. "Ruled out of West Indies T20`s, World T20 decision not made yet."
The World Twenty20 begins in Bangladesh on March 16.
England`s first match is against New Zealand on March 22 followed by games against Sri Lanka, South Africa and one of the minor nations.
Root played all three one-dayers against West Indies, scoring his first international limited-overs century in the final match to help England clinch the series 2-1 despite being struck on the thumb by a delivery from Ravi Rampaul early in his knock.
England are scheduled to play three Twenty20 internationals against West Indies starting on Sunday in Barbados.
West Indies have recalled hard-hitting opening batsman Chris Gayle for the T20 series after he missed the one-dayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!