Canada play Sweden in hockey final as Games close
Sochi: Defending ice hockey champions Canada play 2006 winners Sweden in the Olympic final on Sunday, bringing the curtain down on two weeks of thrills and spills at the Winter Games in Sochi.
The four-man bobsleigh and cross-country skiing`s 50km endurance test will be staged earlier in the day before athletes make their way to the Fisht Stadium for the closing ceremony.
Although the Swedes and the Canadians cannot claim a classic sporting rivalry, their ice hockey pedigrees are indisputable, producing some of the world`s top talent.
President Vladimir Putin and his fellow Russians dreamed of signing off with gold in one of the country`s favourite sports but their hopes were dashed by a quarter-final exit.
However, Russia do sit on top of the medals table going into the final day of competition, just ahead of Norway.
They will be looking for more gold in the bobsleigh where Olympic two-man champion Alexander Zubkov takes the slenderest of leads into the final two heats of the four-man competition.
In the cross-country, Norwegian Petter Northug looks to end his so far miserable Olympics on a high in an event he won in Vancouver in 2010. Northug, whose training was disrupted last year by a virus, is yet to win a medal here.
He faces a tough battle against Swiss Dario Cologna who already has two gold medals and will be looking for a third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29