Figure skating-Japan`s Hanyu survives slip and stumble to win gold
Sochi: A fall and a stumble could not stop Japan`s Yuzuru Hanyu from becoming the first Asian to win the men`s Olympic figure skating title at the Sochi Games on Friday.
A day after smashing the 100-point barrier in the short programme, the 19-year-old won a men`s competition littered with crash landings and flawed performances with a total of 280.09.
Patrick Chan`s hopes of ending Canada`s wait for a first men`s champion also fell flat after three errors in his free skate left him with a total of 275.62.
Kazakhstan`s Denis Ten proved to be the surprise package of the night as a clean programme allowed him to storm back from ninth place following the short to pick up bronze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list