Obama: US would not spend USD 50 billion on Olympics
Washington: President Barack Obama said that the United States would not need to match the huge USD 50 billion shelled out by Russia if it wanted to host another Olympic Games.
The massive operation to transform the Black Sea resort of Sochi for the Winter Games, which opened on Friday, has been plagued by cost overruns and accusations of corruption and cronyism in President Vladimir Putin`s Russia.
But Obama said financial issues should not put Americans off from hosting more Games -- partly because America would not need to splash so much cash.
"I am not sure that spending 50 billion dollars is necessary in order for us to be successful partly because the infrastructure that we already have in place probably would allow us to do it a little bit cheaper," Obama said in an interview with NBC.
While advising any city that bids for the Games to employ a good accountant, Obama said America knew how to put on a big event -- referring to last weekend`s Super Bowl American football championship Game.
"We are exceptionally good at creating venues, moving people," he said. "I think we are better than anyone else in the world," Obama said.
He added as the world`s "preeminent power" it made little sense for the United States not to hold more Games.
The last Olympiads on US soil were the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta and the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City.
Russia confirmed a year ago that the Sochi Games would cost USD 50 billion more than the initial estimate of USD 19 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read