Politics had no role in Sochi torchbearer choice, says chief Dmitry Chernyshenko
SOCHI: Picking triple Olympic champion Irina Rodnina to light the Olympic flame at the Sochi Winter Games was not a political choice despite a controversial photo she had tweeted, Games chief Dmitry Chernyshenko said on Saturday.
A national hero in Russia and member of parliament loyal to President Vladimir Putin, former figure skater Rodnina caused an outcry in the United States last September by re-tweeting a photoshopped picture showing President Barack Obama chewing and a hand waving a banana in front of him.
"Irina Rodnina is from the club of three-times gold medallists and one of the most respected in the world," Chernyshenko told reporters.
"The Olympic Games are not about politics," he said.
The U.S. ambassador to Moscow, Michael McFaul, accused Rodnina at the time of "outrageous behaviour, which only brings shame to her parliament and country".
Relations between the United States and Russia have been frosty, especially since Putin`s campaign to get re-elected in 2012, during which he criticised Washington.
Rodnina responded in September by saying she had been sent the picture by friends in the United States and added: "Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups."
On Saturday she thanked fans for the support, making no mention of the controversy.
"I received numerous wishes, greetings and kind words. Have not slept for a third straight night. Thank you," she wrote on Twitter.
International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams said the choice of Rodnina, who lit the flame along with former ice skating champion Vladislav Tretyak at Russia`s first Winter Games, was not one taken by his organisation.
"It is not the IOC that chooses them (torchbearers)," he said. "She was chosen for what she has done in sport. It was a decision that Sochi took."
Konstantin Ernst, the creative director of Friday`s opening ceremony, said the choice had been made on sporting grounds alone and that he had not seen the tweet Rodnina sent.
Traditionally the last torchbearer, a closely guarded secret up until the lighting of the flame, at any Olympic Games is usually a high-profile athlete or personality whose presence should add international prestige to the host city.
Previous big name athletes to light the Olympic cauldron include boxer Muhammad Ali, runner Paavo Nurmi and ice hockey player Wayne Gretzky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!