Sochi boost for squash Olympic bid
New Delhi: World Squash Federation president N Ramachandran, who attended the Sochi Winter Olympic Games as the newly-elected President of the Indian Olympic Association, is encouraged by the IOC vision to introduce new sports to the Summer Games programme "sooner rather than later".
Ramachandran, who led the Squash bid to be added in the 2020 Olympic Games programme in Buenos Aires last September, was elected president of the IOA earlier this month.
Subsequent to the election, the year-long ban imposed on the IOA was lifted during the Sochi Games - and, at the invitation of the IOC, Ramachandran travelled to Sochi to raise the Indian tricolor at the Athletes` village in the presence of Patrick Hickey, President European Olympic Committees and Executive Board member of the IOC.
Indian athletes marched under the national flag at the Winter Olympics closing ceremony in Sochi yesterday.
Vladimir Putin hosted a dinner for all the Heads of the National Olympic Committees, at which IOC president Thomas Bach introduced Ramachandran to the Russian President.
"Naturally, I was able to use my opportunities in Sochi to continue my quest to secure a place for squash on the Olympic programme, and it is clear that the IOC do have a vision that enables new sports to be admitted sooner rather than later," said Ramachandran.
"Knowing this, I will definitely not let up in my efforts," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists