Sochi Games 2014: Indian skier ready for flag to fly at closing ceremony
ROSA KHUTOR: India`s only Olympic Alpine skier Himanshu Thakur finished last in the men`s giant slalom on Wednesday and cannot wait for the Sochi Games to end.
Not because he is homesick or fed-up with his performance - he just wants to walk with his country`s flag at the closing ceremony after being denied that honour when the torch was lit nearly two weeks ago.
The 20-year-old from the foothills of the Himalayas had to march behind an Olympic flag when the Games began because of a ban on India`s Olympic Association due to the election of a corruption-tainted offical as secretary general.
The ban was lifted last week after fresh elections, meaning India`s team of three - who entered the Sochi Games as "independents" - can wear their country`s colours with pride.
"It was a bad feeling I think at the opening ceremony because I was under the IOC flag," Thakur said on Wednesday after finishing 72nd - 26 seconds behind his favourite skier, Ted Ligety of the United States.
"It was a bad feeling because I was not representing my country. After February 11 the IOC gave us our country back because of the fresh elections.
"I`m proud to put the flag up (in the athletes village). My parents, teacher and friends were very proud.
"The closing ceremony I will be under my own flag and it will be nice for me."
Despite being out of his depth on the slope, Thakur did manage to complete two runs, a feat beyond nearly a quarter of the 109 on the start list.
"I was a bit nervous when I came down but it was a good feeling when I finished my run," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’