Sochi Olympics: American Meyers unscathed after training crash
Sochi: USA-1 driver Elana Meyers, among the favourites to win women`s Olympic bobsleigh gold, emerged unscathed after crashing on her first official training run at the Sanki Sliding Centre on Friday.
Meyers and alternate brakeman Katie Eberling toppled close to the end of their first run but still managed to clock the third fastest time in heat two.
"Not a fun ride. I got late into curve 16 (out of 17), I didn`t know it was even possible to crash in curve 16 but I got in late," Meyers told reporters.
"I touched the sled (against the wall), and when you do that, and when your are that late, the sled shoots through the roof..."
Meyers` spill follows an incident on Thursday when a track worker suffered two broken legs after being struck by a `forerunner` - a bobsleigh sent down the track ahead of the official competitors to check for safety.
Meyers, who won a bronze in Vancouver pushing Erin Pac and finished World Cup runner-up this season after taking the front seat, said crashing was just part of the sport.
"That`s the cool thing about bobsleigh ... there is that danger, that risk at every single corner, the possibility that something could go wrong," she said.
"But the coolest thing is saying `hey, I crashed, but I`m going to go back up there and do it again`.
"Every curve is an opportunity to fix something and get better."
There are four more training runs before the competition starts on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP