Ukraine wins first Olympic gold in Sochi
Sochi: Ukraine Friday won its first ever Olympic women`s biathlon relay gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.
The team of sisters Valya and Vita Semerenko, Julia Dzhima and Olena Pidgrushna came first to the finish line, ahead of the traditionally strong squads from Russia and Norway, Xinhua reported.
The gold in biathlon relay was the second medal for Ukraine during the Sochi Olympics, after the 28-year-old Vita Semerenko took bronze in the 7.5 km biathlon sprint.
The gold medal was Ukraine`s first Winter Olympic medal since 1994 , when Oksana Bayul won the country`s gold in figure skating during the Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday