Ukraine wins first Olympic gold in Sochi
Sochi: Ukraine Friday won its first ever Olympic women`s biathlon relay gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.
The team of sisters Valya and Vita Semerenko, Julia Dzhima and Olena Pidgrushna came first to the finish line, ahead of the traditionally strong squads from Russia and Norway, Xinhua reported.
The gold in biathlon relay was the second medal for Ukraine during the Sochi Olympics, after the 28-year-old Vita Semerenko took bronze in the 7.5 km biathlon sprint.
The gold medal was Ukraine`s first Winter Olympic medal since 1994 , when Oksana Bayul won the country`s gold in figure skating during the Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj