Ukraine wins first Olympic gold in Sochi
Sochi: Ukraine Friday won its first ever Olympic women`s biathlon relay gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.
The team of sisters Valya and Vita Semerenko, Julia Dzhima and Olena Pidgrushna came first to the finish line, ahead of the traditionally strong squads from Russia and Norway, Xinhua reported.
The gold in biathlon relay was the second medal for Ukraine during the Sochi Olympics, after the 28-year-old Vita Semerenko took bronze in the 7.5 km biathlon sprint.
The gold medal was Ukraine`s first Winter Olympic medal since 1994 , when Oksana Bayul won the country`s gold in figure skating during the Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof