ANZ Stadium to have `Warner`s Corner` during T20 International
Sydney: Dashing opener David Warner`s popularity has increased to such an extent that there were high level talks about whether a section of the stadium could be renamed `Warner`s Corner` for the first T20 International between Australia and India on February 1.
According to The Daily Telegraph, "officials were so keen to cash in on Warner`s recent good form, they were prepared to allocate special seating for his legion of fans."
"Not since Shane Warne has an Australian cricketer been able to pull punters through the turnstiles like Warner. Already a household name because of his Twenty20 ability, Warner`s profile soared even higher after his electric 180 in the Perth Test last week."
"Along with his love of on-field banter, infectious celebrations and knockabout nature, Warner has had no problems generating healthy headlines."
"Nearly 50,000 tickets have been sold for the T20, most of them on the back of Warner`s potential to smash sixes all over ANZ Stadium," it further wrote.
Warner on his part said, "I see myself as just another player in the team and if I come off, I come off, and the people get excited about it," Warner said.
"If the ball is there, I`m going to hit it. Test cricket is about backing myself and if the ball is in my area, I`ll do exactly what I did [in Perth]. I showed in Hobart I have a mature side as well, and if the going gets tough I have to be there and knuckle down."
"I`d never want people to hear from people, "we`re only here to watch you." At the end of the day there are another 10 players out there," he added.
He praised the pacers for their fantastic effort till now. "You only have to look at our bowling on day one [in Perth] when we took four wickets in nine balls. People see that`s amazing, and that`s the sort of thing people want to see."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users