Argentina fans celebrate Messi`s birthday in Kolkata
Kolkata: About 16,000kms away from the Argentinean capital Buenos Aires, soccer fans here celebrated the 27th birthday of super star Lionel Messi by cutting a huge cake and organising a blood donation camp.
Teenagers and youths - all members of the Argentina Fans` Club - celebrated the occasion with great pomp at Ganguly Bagan in the southern outskirts of the city where giant cut-outs of the soccer genius were put up with "Happy Birthday" written on them.
The cake, 170cms in length and 107cms in breadth, and shaped like a soccer field, was cut by young fans decked up in the Argentine national team colours of sky blue and white. Messi`s jersey number 10 was written at the back.
More than 600 people then gave their blood at a blood donation club.
"This is an annual event. Earlier we used to celebrate Diego Maradona`s birthday by holding the blood donation camp. Now on Maradona`s birthday, we only cut a cake," Argentina Fans` club Secretary Uttam Saha said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof