Balotelli’s mum working as £6-an-hour office cleaner
London: Multimillionaire footballer Mario Balotelli’s mother has got a new job as a cleaner at an office block to make ends meet.
Rose Barwuah is scraping a living doing evening shifts at the offices of a car lease company for close to the 6 pound-an-hour minimum wage.
While the Man City star drives to work in his 120,000-pound Bentley Continental GT, Rose Barwuah’s more modest mode of transport is the Number 11 bus.
Barwuah and her husband Thomas, who are from Ghana, gave Mario up for adoption when he was two and he was taken in by the wealthy Balotelli family.
They had been advised to give him up because they were living in a tiny flat in Brescia, Italy, and Mario had a life-threatening intestinal condition that was made worse by their cramped conditions.
Barwuah moved to the Manchester area last Christmas to be close to the 120,000 pound-a-week striker.
She lives on an estate in Wythenshawe, which was used to film ‘Shameless,’ the Channel 4 comedy about families living on the dole in council houses.
The Italian striker has visited her there several times, stunning residents by turning up his white Bentley.
“A lot of people on the estate who know who her famous son is can’t quite believe she is working as a cleaner. It is a bit odd that while he is polishing his Premier League winner’s medal she is polishing desks,” the Mirror quoted a source as saying.
“Mario has been round the house, sometimes with his brother Enoch. It is a real sight to see his white Bentley parked up outside. It was a surprise to see Rose rock up on this estate when he is earning millions of pounds and lives in a huge house in Alderley Edge.
“But fair play to Rose, she has got on with things and is willing to graft for not a lot of money. Apparently she does not want any of Mario’s money. It looks like she is settled here and is here to stay,” the source added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India