Chelsea owner Abramovich wins biggest private legal battle in UK worth $6.5bn
London: Chelsea owner and Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich has won his 6.5 billion dollar worth legal battle with his former mentor and business partner, Boris Berezovsky, in the biggest private court case in British legal history.
Abramovich was accused of blackmailing Berezovsky into selling his interests in the oil company and aluminium conglomerate they founded together at a knockdown price.
Abramovich in turn, accused Berezovsky of extracting money from him for political influence and claimed he had paid him 1.3 billion pounds to buy his freedom when Berezovsky fell out of favour with Russian president Vladimir Putin.
Abramovich’s lawyers also accused Berezovsky of ‘truly prodigious powers of self-deception’ and giving evidence coloured by his ‘vanity and his self-obsession.’
The lawyers claimed that Berezovksy was an “angry and embittered man” of “remarkable vanity and self-importance” which was “aggravated by a highly personal resentment of Mr Abramovich.”
“Large parts of his evidence can only be described as mendacious and dishonest,” the Telegraph quoted Abramovich’s lawyers, as saying in submissions to the court.
“He believes that Mr Abramovich has supplanted him in a position which is rightfully his and that he has acquired a sort of political influence under President Putin which he once enjoyed under a very different regime of Boris Yeltsin,” the lawyers added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know