Cheruiyot to miss World championships for pregnancy
Nairobi: Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot will not be able to defend her 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres titles at this year`s Moscow World championships as she is expecting her first child.
The runner said in a statement Wednesday that she felt it was "the right time to start a family" at the age of 29.
Cheruiyot plans to return for the 2014 season and compete in the 2015 World championships in Beijing.
The Kenyan runner has not competed since she won a 5,000m silver and 10,000m bronze medal at the London Olympics last August. She won her titles over both distances at the last World championships at Daegu in South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC