Cheruiyot to miss World championships for pregnancy
Nairobi: Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot will not be able to defend her 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres titles at this year`s Moscow World championships as she is expecting her first child.
The runner said in a statement Wednesday that she felt it was "the right time to start a family" at the age of 29.
Cheruiyot plans to return for the 2014 season and compete in the 2015 World championships in Beijing.
The Kenyan runner has not competed since she won a 5,000m silver and 10,000m bronze medal at the London Olympics last August. She won her titles over both distances at the last World championships at Daegu in South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre