Cheruiyot to miss World championships for pregnancy
Nairobi: Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot will not be able to defend her 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres titles at this year`s Moscow World championships as she is expecting her first child.
The runner said in a statement Wednesday that she felt it was "the right time to start a family" at the age of 29.
Cheruiyot plans to return for the 2014 season and compete in the 2015 World championships in Beijing.
The Kenyan runner has not competed since she won a 5,000m silver and 10,000m bronze medal at the London Olympics last August. She won her titles over both distances at the last World championships at Daegu in South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar's bail may be cancelled by Delhi High Court - Know why
- Prashant Bhushan takes dig at Smriti Irani, says 'Will HRD be renamed Hindu Rashtra Development Ministry?'
- Japan gives up on failed black hole research satellite
- Notice issued to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra over her land deal in Shimla
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer