Cheruiyot to miss World championships for pregnancy
Nairobi: Kenya`s Vivian Cheruiyot will not be able to defend her 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres titles at this year`s Moscow World championships as she is expecting her first child.
The runner said in a statement Wednesday that she felt it was "the right time to start a family" at the age of 29.
Cheruiyot plans to return for the 2014 season and compete in the 2015 World championships in Beijing.
The Kenyan runner has not competed since she won a 5,000m silver and 10,000m bronze medal at the London Olympics last August. She won her titles over both distances at the last World championships at Daegu in South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Heightened' Dahi Handi revelry continues despite court curb
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH