Coldplay to perform at London 2012 Paralympic closing ceremony
London: Britain’s best-selling band Coldplay are set to headline the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
They will take to the stage at the Olympic Stadium on September 9 for the ceremony, titled Festival of Flame.
Frontman Chris Martin has called it “a great honour” and said the band were “very happy to be involved.”
They will be among more than 2,000 performers at the event. The remaining tickets for the 11-day Paralympic Games went on general sale on Monday.
“It will be one of the biggest nights of our lives and we’re very excited to try to create a performance for the last night of the games that will close London 2012 in style,” the BBC quoted Martin as saying.
The London 2012 Paralympics run from August 29 and will follow the Olympic Games, which take place from July 27 to August 12.
The closing ceremonies are being co-ordinated by artistic director Kim Gavin, who has worked on Take That tours and staged the Concert For Diana in 2007.
“Our show will be a celebration of the UK as a centre for festivals, which is a fitting finale to the amazing festival of sport that is the London 2012 Games,” he said.
London 2012 chairman Lord Coe said he was “delighted” that Coldplay had signed up to help them celebrate the “spectacular” event.
“The athletes involved in the Paralympic Games are incredible sportsmen and women and I urge everyone to take this chance to be there and to form memories that will last a lifetime,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you