Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir
Jammu: Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni Saturday visited the Line of Control (LoC) on the Jammu and Kashmir border to interact with soldiers, an official said.
Dhoni, who is also an Honorary Lt. Col in Territorial Army, went to areas close to the border after arriving in Jammu, defence ministry spokesman Col. R.K. Palta said.
"He will interact with soldiers and see how the Indian Army works in forward areas," said Palta.
The army was proud to have such "an international icon as its brand ambassador", he added.
Dhoni will visit forward areas like Bhimbher Gali, Hamirpur, Kalsian, Nowshera and some other positions in Poonch and Rajouri districts donning army uniform.
According to Palta, the visit seeks "to boost the morale of troops who work in most inhospitable condition and to motivate local youths to join the army".
Dhoni will spend Saturday night in Rajouri.
He is scheduled to visit Udhampur, headquarter of the Northern Command, Sunday before watching the final of the first phase of the Kashmir Premier League (KPL) at Baramulla in the Kashmir Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre