Didier Drogba tight-lipped on Shanghai transfer deal
New Delhi: Ivorian footballer Didier Drogba, on his maiden visit to India, is being fed with questions over his future and the possible move to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.
In a lively interaction with mediapersons here on Sunday, the star footballer remained mum with an assurance of making an announcement at the earliest.
Impressed by the soaring heat in the capital, which he preferred to the freezing temperatures in London or elsewhere in Europe, Drogba said that his heart is with Chelsea and the next step is going to be “very interesting.”
“It was difficult for me to leave that team (Chelsea) because my heart is blue. We built a special relationship there with the club, the owner, the fans and we managed to make Chelsea football club to become a brand all around the world and the next step is going to be a very interesting,” he said.
During his eight years in London, Drogba had won every title and after the win in Munich and failure to reach agreement with the club over a new contract, he decided to leave Stamford Bridge.
“I took my decision after the Champions League, I took my team because I did not want to take any quick decision. I won everything there so I am proud and sometimes I think its good to go at the right time and I think it was the right time,” he added.
The striker also acknowledged the contributions of Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo for guiding the team to the Champions League title after taking over mid-season from Portuguese manager Andre Villa-Boas.
Drogba joined Chelsea from Olympique Marseille in 2004 and his menacing physique was ideally suited to the fast-paced hubbub of the Premier League.
In addition to the Champions League, he also won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and two League Cups in a glittering career at Stamford Bridge.
Drogba scored 157 times in 341 appearances, making him the club`s fourth all-time leading scorer, while his 34 European goals are a Chelsea record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof