Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia
Belgrade: An estimated 6,000 fans braved frigid temperatures to get a glimpse of the world`s top tennis player Novak Djokovic in the central Serbian town of Jagodina where he unveiled a wax statue of himself.
Djokovic arrived in Jagodina to reveal his life-like statue at the wax museum in the town. The event was attended by the town`s mayor, Dragan Markovic-Palma, and the Serbian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Ivica Dacic, Xinhua reported.
According to Markovic-Palma, the timing of the unveiling of Djokovic`s wax figure was fortuitous, given the fact that Djokovic had received the award as top sportsman for 2011 at the Laureus Sports Award in London Monday.
"We believe that Novak is the most successful Serbian athlete and that his figure should be in a museum," said Markovic-Palma, adding that other Serbian athletes would not be ignored in the future, naming basketball players Vlade Divac and Sasha Djordjevic as possible entries.
The wax figure was made by Belgrade sculptor Svetomir Radovic after reviewing extensive video recordings and photographs of Djokovic in action. The life-size figure is dressed in attire worn by Djokovic and holds a racket used by him in an actual tennis match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt