Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia
Belgrade: An estimated 6,000 fans braved frigid temperatures to get a glimpse of the world`s top tennis player Novak Djokovic in the central Serbian town of Jagodina where he unveiled a wax statue of himself.
Djokovic arrived in Jagodina to reveal his life-like statue at the wax museum in the town. The event was attended by the town`s mayor, Dragan Markovic-Palma, and the Serbian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Ivica Dacic, Xinhua reported.
According to Markovic-Palma, the timing of the unveiling of Djokovic`s wax figure was fortuitous, given the fact that Djokovic had received the award as top sportsman for 2011 at the Laureus Sports Award in London Monday.
"We believe that Novak is the most successful Serbian athlete and that his figure should be in a museum," said Markovic-Palma, adding that other Serbian athletes would not be ignored in the future, naming basketball players Vlade Divac and Sasha Djordjevic as possible entries.
The wax figure was made by Belgrade sculptor Svetomir Radovic after reviewing extensive video recordings and photographs of Djokovic in action. The life-size figure is dressed in attire worn by Djokovic and holds a racket used by him in an actual tennis match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes