Ferdinand criticized over tobacco ad
London: Manchester United Footballer Rio Ferdinand has been accused by anti-smoking charities of doing a tobacco advertisement for Asia`s biggest cigarette brand.
Ferdinand, an active supporter of the global children`s charity UNICEF, appears in billboard advertisements and YouTube videoclips in Indonesia that promote Gudang Garam International`s (GGI) Internet-based sports channel, Intersport, which broadcasts Premier League football matches and helps to raise the profile of English football in Asia.
GGI is one of Indonesia`s largest tobacco companies and its cigarettes, which are flavored with spices such as cloves and cinnamon, are particularly popular with children.
Deborah Arnott, chief executive of the anti-smoking group Ash, said such sponsorship deals were banned in the UK because of concerns that they promoted cigarettes to young people. She called on Ferdinand to dissociate himself from GGI, particularly because of his relationship with UNICEF.
A spokesman for the United player insisted that the footballer, a fervent anti-smoker, was not advertising tobacco for the sports channel, reports said.
It appears that Ferdinand, who is only one of many international football stars to appear in the GGI ads, had been unaware that GGI makes a large amount of its profits from tobacco, or that his image would be used on billboards which carry the cigarette brand logo.
The spokesman said Ferdinand was consulting lawyers about the use of his image in the campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened