Five hurt in stampede as Beckham arrives in Shanghai
Shanghai: Five people were hurt in a stampede here on Thursday afternoon when former England captain David Beckham arrived at Tongji University.
Witnesses said thousands of fans rushed forward when Beckham arrived and waved to them. Police failed to control the crowd, reports Xinhua.
Tongji University said four working staff and a student were injured in the stampede. They were rushed to hospital where their injuries were described as "not serious".
Beckham, who is visiting Shanghai as ambassador to the Chinese Super League, called off the event and expressed his hope that the injured would recover soon.
The 38-year-old superstar began his new role in March, before announcing his retirement last month after winning the French league title with Paris Saint-Germain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda