French Open faux pas: And the runner up is Maria Sharapova!
Paris: French Open tennis officials turned red as they committed a faux pas during the presentation ceremony when they introduced newly-crowned champion Maria Sharapova as the runner-up.
Russian Sharapova beat Italy`s Sara Errani to win the French Open title last evening.
As the defeated Sara Errani laughed and raised her arms in triumph to the packed crowd on Court Philippe Chatrier, winner Sharapova looked stunned but then smiled.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the runner-up Maria Sharapova," a daily quoted the announcer, as saying.
To jeers and whistles from the crowd, the announcer quickly issued a correction.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the runner-up Sara Errani,” he said.
The Italian then collected her trophy from former champion Monica Seles before Sharapova was called to the podium as champion to receive the winner`s trophy.
“I`m really speechless, it`s been such a journey for me to get to this stage. No matter how many Grand Slams you win, to win here and to win this one, if it was my only one it would be just as special as it is winning my fourth,” Sharapova said.
Sharapova completed a career grand slam with a straight-sets win over Errani in the French Open final on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security