Gavaskar formally inducted into ICC Cricket Hall of Fame
Dubai: Former India captain Sunil Gavaskar was formally inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame on Wednesday in Dubai when he received his commemorative cap from fellow Hall of Famer and teammate Kapil Dev.
Gavaskar is one of the initial 55 inductees in the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame which was launched in January 2009 in association with the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) as part of the ICC's Centenary Year. He now joins a Hall of Fame that includes 72 male and female cricketers.
"It is a huge honour because it is the peers in the game who decide who is going to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. It has taken some time to co-ordinate the presentation but finally it is there and I am delighted that I have been inducted," Gavaskar was quoted as saying by an ICC media release.
"This means that you are in select company and therefore, it becomes all the more special. To be an original inductee is an even bigger honour."
Gavaskar was thrilled to receive the cap from Kapil who has been his teammate for close to a decade.
"Kapil is somebody who I consider as the greatest Indian cricketer and to receive this cap from him is a real big plus, a real big honour. Kapil and I have had some wonderful times playing in the Indian team.”
"Being part of the World Cup winning squad is a memory that will always stay with me. Kapil lifting the Cup at the Lord's is something that I will always treasure and, therefore, to receive the cap from him makes this occasion even more special," the legendary opener who has scored 10,122 runs in Test cricket said.
Kapil, on his part said that it was a privilege to present the cap to Gavaskar.
"It is a proud moment to be in the same group where Sunil Gavaskar is. In our time, we used to think and even till today we think Sunil is one of the best-ever opening batsman. Sunil was the greatest player in my era and certainly was the best I played with. He was the best captain I played under.”
"The team was struggling in those days. We did not have those great players that we have today. But under the circumstances, Sunil had a big influence on the side. He motivated and taught us how to fight."
Those present at the function were ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat and former Pakistan captains Aamir Sohail, Ramiz Raja and Waqar Younis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India