Golf meets tennis: Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki engaged
London: Two-time major golf champion Rory McIlroy and former women`s tennis world number one Caroline Wozniacki announced their engagement Wednesday in postings on Twitter.
McIlroy, the 24-year-old former world number one from Northern Ireland, posted pictures of himself and Wozniacki and a diamond ring on a woman`s left ring finger.
"Happy New Year everyone! I have a feeling it`s going to be a great year!! My first victory of 2014 #shesaidyes!!"
On her Twitter page, Wozniacki posted the same pictures with the caption "Happy New Year everyone! Rory and I started 2014 with a bang! ... I said YES!!!!"
Wozniacki, 23, withdrew from a WTA event in Brisbane last weekend due to a shoulder injury but the Dane was looking forward to playing at Sydney in a tuneup event for the Australian Open.
McIlroy captured his first major title at the 2011 US Open and added another at the 2012 PGA Championship.
Wozniacki still seeks her first Grand Slam title, her deepest run in a major event being to the 2009 US Open final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal