Golf meets tennis: Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki engaged
London: Two-time major golf champion Rory McIlroy and former women`s tennis world number one Caroline Wozniacki announced their engagement Wednesday in postings on Twitter.
McIlroy, the 24-year-old former world number one from Northern Ireland, posted pictures of himself and Wozniacki and a diamond ring on a woman`s left ring finger.
"Happy New Year everyone! I have a feeling it`s going to be a great year!! My first victory of 2014 #shesaidyes!!"
On her Twitter page, Wozniacki posted the same pictures with the caption "Happy New Year everyone! Rory and I started 2014 with a bang! ... I said YES!!!!"
Wozniacki, 23, withdrew from a WTA event in Brisbane last weekend due to a shoulder injury but the Dane was looking forward to playing at Sydney in a tuneup event for the Australian Open.
McIlroy captured his first major title at the 2011 US Open and added another at the 2012 PGA Championship.
Wozniacki still seeks her first Grand Slam title, her deepest run in a major event being to the 2009 US Open final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back