Harbhajan to donate Rs 10 lakh for Uttarakhand flood victims
New Delhi: He was a witness to the plight of people affected by the devastating flash flood in Uttarakhand and it is no wonder that cricketer Harbhajan Singh has decided to help the victims in his own small way.
The India international will contribute Rs 10 lakh which will be utilised for the benefit of the victims of the tragedy.
"I have decided to contribute Rs 10 lakh. A part of it will be donated to the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund and the remaining part will go to the Punjab government`s relief fund," Harbhajan said.
India`s rising star Shikhar Dhawan has already dedicated his Man-of-the-Series performance to the victims of Uttarakhand tragedy but Harbhajan is the first cricketer to come out and help the affected people. The off-spinner could empathise with the victims as he himself was stranded in Joshimath for a few days.
Harbhajan and his family members were on their way to Hemkunth Sahib and were stuck at Joshimath after landslide badly damaged the road. The cricketer along with his friend and family then stayed at the ITBP camp, where he was moved by the selfless work of the Indian Army.
The cricketer was touched by the stories he heard from the various families who were staying with him in the camp.
Harbhajan and his friends were finally rescued from Hemkunth Sahib by 205 Army Aviation Squadron based at Pathankot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS