Harbhajan turns counsellor for stranded pilgrims, tourists
Dehradun: Cricketer Harbhajan Singh, who has been stranded in Joshimath, on Tuesday took the role of a counsellor alongside ITBP personnel as he met a number of pilgrims hit by incessant rains and floods.
The cricketer is staying at the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) camp at Joshimath since the last three days after he too could not reach Hemkund Sahib gurudwara due to inclement weather.
The off-spinner on Tuesday accompanied ITBP officials to the forces` barracks and campuses where stranded pilgrims are being provided food and medicines and talked to them.
"He counselled them (pilgrims and tourists) that all would be well soon and that force personnel and others are trying to bring as much succour as they can. He gave them food and water and spent with them," a senior ITBP official said.
The ITBP has deployed close to 600 personnel for relief and rescue operations in the state and has opened up its office and residential buildings for the people to stay.
"Our jawans have even emptied their barracks to accommodate the people who are stuck. Every effort is being made to provide food, water and medicines through two private choppers that have been pressed in by the force," the official said.
The force has spread its men to rain-hit areas in Kedarnath, Gaurikund, Govindghat, Pandukeswar, Karnaprayag, Badrinath and Uttarkashi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- IPL 2016 final: RCB vs SRH - Virat Kohli on the verge of reaching once-unthinkable milestone
- Know the importance of Prasad/Prasadam!
- Up to 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean this week: UN
- After 11 years Mars will come closest to Earth on May 30
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...